Parents need moments like this…

January 31, 2009

Mack and I were driving home from Home Depot today when we had to stop at a traffic light. Off to our left was a cemetery- something Mack has always been interested in. After a couple of minutes, Mack started asking some graveyard-related questions.

Mack- “Dad, how come some of the graves are small and some are big?”

Dad- “Do you mean the headstones buddy?”

Mack- “Yeah, the headstones- some of them are great big and others are really small.”

Dad- “Well headstones are expensive son, that great big one right there probably cost a thousand dollars- that little one next to it was probably almost free. If it were up to me I would go for the free one and then leave all that money I saved to you and Cay. Sounds good right?”

Mack- (Pause)  “Nope, I would get you the great big one.”

Dad- “That’s silly why would you do that?”

Mack- “Because I love you and I would want to be able to find you if I needed to.”

That choked me up a bit because if you know Mack you know how he feels about cold hard cash. His willingness to part with a thousand dollars is one of the most gracious compliments I’ve ever received from him- and then he said this:

Mack- “Dad will I know you in heaven?”

Dad- “Absolutely buddy- of course.”

Mack- “That’s good. You know what else dad?”

Dad- “What’s that stud?”

Mack- “If I died I wouldn’t want to come back if I couldn’t have you and mom as my parents.”

We rode in silence the rest of the trip, but I reached back to his car seat so we could hold hands all the way home.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks

Mary Hanson posted the following on February 1, 2009 at 8:51 am.

Aww… those are the moments that melt your heart, aren’t they? Thanks for sharing Shane! 🙂
Mary

Jen posted the following on February 2, 2009 at 5:01 am.

You are making me tear up here. Thank you for sharing the lovely moment you shared with your son.

Kelli posted the following on February 2, 2009 at 12:06 pm.

Also choking up over here. You’re exactly right – we do need moments like that as parents. It makes everything totally worth it.

Sue Ann posted the following on February 2, 2009 at 2:57 pm.

That is so sweet!! A little dangerous too with the hand holding part. SO glad you didn’t end up with one of those nice big headstones sooner than anticipated! What a sweet guy you have there.

Gail posted the following on February 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm.

That’s lovely. Just happened to check in on your blog today and am so glad I did. Noa just turned 2! I’ll be using your toilet-training advice, too!

admin posted the following on February 3, 2009 at 8:34 pm.

Sue Ann, don’t worry about our safety I have really long arms and have been professionally trained by the government to steer with my left knee- all is safe and secure.

Gail, hey lady- congrats to Noa for entering the terrible two zone- I doubt she will be too terrible though; that kid needs some serious work in the angry toddler department- my boys will tutor if you’re interested, just realize they aren’t cheap.